Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Double Rainbow in Honolulu Hawaii

A Double Rainbow in Honolulu Hawaii Sep 2014
====================================

I had no idea double rainbows exist until I saw one in Honolulu Hawaii. This was the first time I had ever seen one. The fact that I got to see this in Hawaii was 10 times more pleasurable. Do you know the colors in the 2nd rainbow are inverted? I had no clue and never noticed it when I saw it since I was too preoccupied to capture this rare phenomenon on a photograph I should admit.

While I don't want my story to be a primer on rainbows I think it is appropriate to quote this paragraph that I liked on accuweather website : A primary rainbow is visible when light is reflected once off the back of a raindrop, a secondary and usually dimmer rainbow is spotted when light is reflected twice.The colors of the second rainbow are inverted, with blue on the outside and red moved to the inside.


Now on to how I happenstanced on the happenstance of seeing a double rainbow. Rainy days in Hawaii are magical but rain lends an interesting look to a beach like Waikiki because the image of picture-perfect sunny beach is entrenched in the minds of tourists. Well I was not a tourist and I considered myself anything but a tourist while I lived in Hawaii. I saw myself a Hawaiian, a local and I acted like I lived in Hawaii my whole life in the 3 months that I lived there. So I did what any local would do on a rainy day, I went to a beach and spent my morning at Waikiki beach and took a swim near Kuhio Lagoon. The wet sand under my feet and rain drops falling on me while swimming was pure delight and I felt like a child all over again. That alone would have my made my day but I had no idea there was another surprise in store for me that afternoon.


The rain kept me indoors but not for long until I decided I would go check out University of Hawaii at Manoa. The University is served by public bus and there is probably a bus from any given route stopping here at UH every 10 minutes. If you like to start from Ala Moana bus station the best bus to get on is "A". Since I lived in Waikiki the more convenient bus was "13". It sort of takes you there through back streets and if you ask me has better views along the way. The rain was just letting up as the bus dropped me off at the back entrance of the campus. The sky looked clear and spent, the sun was out and seemed cheerful at the improved prospects, the ocean lay down below a mile to the south, a fresh breeze swept off from it and came inland and felt cool against my face, has welcomed me to the abode of learning.

I was expecting to see a campus crept up the mountainside and sat atop offering the sweeping views of the Pacific but that was not the case. Nonetheless the campus was beautiful like anything else in Hawaii. I strolled around the campus for an hour and while I thought the UH looked any typical college scene I was reminded how wrong I was as I was trying to walk towards the front of campus to wait for a bus. I looked back to get my bearings on to see where I was and there it was -- a double rainbow -- in all its glory. The Kalaepohaku Ridge hills provided the perfect canvas to the nature's art class at the school, I might add.

==Thank You==

















No comments:

Post a Comment